Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A week of Firsts



Faith's friend Noel came over to play last week. Noel was Faith's neighbor at the hospital for three months. The two tube buddies had a great time (and so did the tube moms!) We had to laugh at the situation-it was like the Doritos commercial where the moms are gabbing away and their newborns are just sitting in their carriers totally unaware of where they were....except our kids are toddlers and they just sit attached to ventilators. Yes, it's sad but we found humor in it. ;)



Reachin' for the 'Los! (our nickname for Buffalo)

One of the first things we learned about trachs is that you can't go swimming with them (or should we say it is not highly recommended!) But no one said anything about baby pools!!!! Of course Faith absolutely hated it- but she did stop crying long enough for us to get the above shot of her looking cool in the pool!

I promised the kids in my summer school class that I'd snap a picture of the birds nest in one of our flower pots. Since this blog is all about tiny miracles we thought we'd share it with you. :)


Yes, it was a week of firsts for Faith. She had her first play date, first time in a pool, and first time out at a restaurant! Brian and I finally got up the nerve to take Faith out on Father's day- and we all came out alive!!!!! PHEW! It was a bit of an ordeal- traveling with Faith and all of her equipment is like a three ring circus. People just don't really understand until they see us coming. And boy did they see us coming. Of course we got many many weird looks, which is only natural. At one point I said to Brian.."I think it's not the hole in her neck that freaks people out, it's probably all the tubes.." We both looked at each other and disagreement, "No, it's the hole in her neck..." :)
Nevertheless we did it, and Faith didn't freak out too much when we got home (although she did get pretty stressed at the restaurant).

Summer is just rolling along. We've been pretty busy with Faith. Between doctor appointments, therapy sessions, and our own crazy schedules it seems like everyday is as hectic as the last.
A few months ago I made a list of all the things I wanted to get accomplished over the summer- it's already mid June and I haven't touched any of them. Oh well- the important thing is we are home! Faith has officially been home for 2 months now. Wow. Someone at a NICU support group once told me that a significant date is when you've been home longer then you've been in the hospital- unfortunately we won't know what that's like until next April but hey I can already see what they mean!
Well Faith is finally sleep and it's time for us to turn in as well (we only have about an hour until she starts tossing and turning...)

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Awesome!

Even tho Faith didn't enjoy it too much, it's important for her (and you) to experience those firsts. Coincidentally, Marissa also had her first "swim" in a baby pool this last weekend. Had to guard the trach like Fort Knox, but it was really no different than when we give her a bath.

God Bless

Alicia

Anonymous said...

Hey y'all! What a fun time you and Noel had! I wish I was with you in the pool..how fun and exciting.

Aunt Susan, Uncle Mike, Steve and Michelle and the puppies will be heading to Florida for some fun at the beach! I wish you could go with us and put your toes in the sand and the water!

SO dont worry about me if you dont here from me...I will TRY to find a computer if not KNOW WE LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU!

Tell mommy to put warm water in the pool maybe that will help and a few floating toys...you will learn to love the pool!

MISS YOU LOADS!

Aunt Susan, Uncle Mike, Steve and Michelle
XO XO XO XO

Anonymous said...

Hi Faith!!! You just get more beautiful all the time! I miss you! I am glad home life is suiting you so well! You are a precious angel and I am so glad that I can still enjoy your big, bright, smiles via the internet!
Jen and Brian,
WOW!! I can't believe it's been 2 months. I am so happy that Faith is doing so well. I see that she is still having some bumps, but my gosh, it really seems like she has come so far since going home. YAY!! And with parents like the 2 of you, honestly, she could'nt have done any better. I am so happy for all of you. Please give her hugs and kisses from me! And Jen, I hope you get in over at Van Arsdale, that would be awesome! Until then, enjoy the summer and enjoy your baby!! She is such a precious gift, and such a ray of sunshine for all who know her.
Much love,
Jenni Mills
RRT
TCH